Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Day 7-Mt. Of Olives, Garden of Gethsemane, Western Steps of Gate of Dung (really), Via De La Rosa-First 2 Gates, Pools Of Bethesda, St . Ann’s Church, & Wailing Wall.

3 Sheckles for an unforgettable photo

Our first day in Jerusalem was a very long but UNBELIEVABLE day. You can never imagine the immense emotion and awe that you feel in this city . We went to the Wailing Wall passing through all the markets in the old part of the city. David said that the site is best at night so we went after dinner and it was an incredible site to see. Tami, Claire, and I went with Pastor Steve, and his wife Sarah and Pastor Steve took us through the residential part of the Jewish quarter and we got to have a bird’s eye view of , what is the center of the greatest spiritual battle of the world, The Temple Mount.  Just East and erected high above the Wailing Wall, the Golden Dome (Muslim Mosque built in 1619) is built exactly over the remains of the first and second Temple. The Wailing Wall is the Western wall of the Holy Temple and for the Jews it is the most sacred place to worship God and pray for 3 things, the coming of Messiah,  rebuilding of the Temple and the Resurrection of the Dead.

The Mt Of Olives was our first stop this morning. This site is  sacred and significant to both Jews and Christians and is a place of great joy and prophecy but it is also a place of great pain.  The Mt. of Olives is where one of Jesus’ disciples, Judas, would betray Him but, it is also where Jesus ascended up into heaven after giving instructions through the Holy Spirit to His Apostles. The Bible tells us that it is here, the Mt of Olives, the Lord will return in the last days. (Zechariah 14: 4) Below us were thousands of graves that people from all of the world have come to bury their loves ones. Jews believe with the coming Messiah people that are buried in Jerusalem will be guaranteed resurrection. David made us laugh because he said that when Messiah comes he will ask Him if this is the first time or second time he was here.

Pastor Steve delivered a great Bible study. (Mark 13) Steve’s main point was take heed, listen, pay attention…Wake Up! People try to predict “when” the end will come, but Jesus tells us in Mark 13: 32 that no one knows about that day or hour.  Mark 13:28 says  “learn this lesson from the fig tree, when it gets tender and its leaves come out it will be a sign that the return of the Lord is near.” Israel’s fig trees only started to started to grow and sprout after Israel became a nation again in 1947. Wow, when you think of it, it’s only in this generation that Israel  became a nation and its mind blowing when you read all the other prophesies of what will happen in the world before the end times. Mark 13:35,  Jesus’ tell us as Christians and followers of Him,  “watch,” “be ready” do not let Him find you sleeping. I know that this is why I am here.

After the study we walked down to the Garden of Gethsemane where Jesus was the night before He died on the cross. We were so fortunate because we got to go in the private garden entry; all the other tourists turned left and we went into a private entrance on the right. Instead of a Bible lesson Pastor Bob gave us 20 minutes to find a quite spot to contemplate what Jesus’ went through when He knew He was going to have to die on the cross to heal the sins of the world. He suggested we meditate on that and recommit ourselves to living for Jesus and not of the things of this world. Mathew 26. I have read this  passage before but this time sitting in the garden every word sunk into my heart.


Great day and now I have to get off to sleep. We have an early departure of 7:30.
Blessings
Sian

It’s Day 8 today and we had an early outing to the Western Wall of the Temple Mount;, very interesting, and then on our own to do whatever we wanted.  We decide to go to the Museum of Israel to see the Dead Sea Scrolls that were discovered in Qumran in 1947. It was neat to see such ancient writings that were familiar biblically and so meaningful.  Tami and I are taking a rest in the room right now so we are downloading our pictures and getting caught up on emails. I didn’t get a chance to write about the Pools Of Bethesda and St. Ann’s Church last night but it was one of the most memorable places I have visited so far so I can’t help but journal the experience.


The Pools of Bethesda is also know as the pools of mercy because a great number of disabled people would lie here waiting to be healed. John 5: 6, Jesus asks a man that has been disabled for 38 years if he wanted to be healed. Jesus told the man to “get up and pick up his mat and walk.”  Pastor Mike gave us the message at the Pools and this is where God spoke so loudly to me about many situations in my life.  John 5: 3 speaks about the blind, the lame and the paralyzed.  This scripture was powerful to me not only for the message in my life but, for the eternal message for all our clients at New Start who are physically paralyzed. Until we ( independent of physical disabilities) seek truth we are spiritually blind and when we find truth we are lame, if our walk is not of Him but, of our own desires. And maybe the greatest of  disabilities is becoming spiritually paralyzed, we become fearful instead of trusting in the Lord’s eternal promises.

John 5: 6 Jesus initiates help to the man at the Pools of Bethesda and Pastor Mike passionately pointed out, that is exactly what God does in our lives on a daily basis. Before I committed my life to Jesus I had roadblocks in my life and the only way to break those roadblocks was to go harder with my strength and understanding. I never understood my Mom’s faith until I began a personal relationship with Jesus. Thanks Mom for praying for me all those years.  Being here is such a celebration of your answered prayers.

So many passages of scriptures during my visit to the Holy Land have come to life like never before. John 5: 14 Jesus sees the man who is healed and says “See you are well again. Stop sinning or something worse will happen.” Anytime there is an amazing work of healing  in our lives there is  a great step of faith to believe that it isn’t coincidence or random intervention it is Him working in our lives.

After, we finished our study and  Pastor Bob led us into St Ann’s Church to sing and worship. St. St. Ann’s Church is the only church perfectly preserved after the Roman conquering. The Romans fell in love with the beauty of the building  and spared it from ruin and  turned it into a place for Islamic studies.  There have been so many highlights of my tip to Israel but, singing in St. Ann’s was something that touched me so deeply that I felt like I was in heaven. The acoustics are indescribable. There was no music just our voices and the sound was like that of angels. Our group sang about 10 songs, different people breaking into a new worship song. I looked around and I saw that I wasn’t the only one that felt this presence each one of felt a slice of heaven this day. Wow, as I walked out I looked at the entrance to the church and it looked so familiar and then I realized it looked like the church where my mom grew up and later would get married. It was called St. Ann’s Church of the Rhondda Valley in Wales. One day I hope my Mom and Dad will visit this church together, it is the most beautiful place I have ever experienced in my life.

Last stop was the Via De La Rosa. To be honest I didn’t know anything about this until a friend told me about it before I came to Israel. David took us to the first 2 Gates only because the exact route that Jesus took as He walked toward the place He would be crucified is not what we read about in the Bible. I believe the Via De La Rosa came from the time of the Crusaders so it is a Catholic tradition and something that David said that we could walk on our own if we wished. Pastor Bob explained after we go onto the bus that nobody really knows for sure the exact location of Jesus’ barriel site but, for Christians it is not for us to know “where” but “why" Jesus died at Calvary on a cross for our sins and for this we are truly grateful.

It’s 2pm, Tami is snoring so I’m going to get a little rest before heading out for dinner.

I miss you too girls. I can’t wait to see you in a few days. Greggy keep emailing me, I love to get messages everyday. Mom, I hope you are feeling great and Dad, don’t let Annie get the best of you.
Thanks for holding down the fort. I love you
Thanks for all the great messages. I haven’t responded because my time so limited.
Blessings
Sian




The girls at Ein Gedi

Steps of Western Wall

Street level where Jesus walked while teaching & healing

Excavation of the Wall and Roman Shrines

Lion's Gate 

Bible study at the Pools Of Bethesda

Tami praying in the Garden of Gethsemane


Beginning of the Via De La Roasa
Sarah, Pastor Steve & me at the
Steps of the Western Wall

Camel day, after a great lunch we rode into the sunset!

David Citadel Hotel
This place is unbelievable!

White stone graves below the Mt. Of Olives

Pastor Bob at the Garden Of Gesthemane

Gate Beautiful
This is the gate that Jesus rode into Jerusalem on a donkey and scripture tells us
that Jesus will enter again through this Gate when He returns.
After the Muslim Shrine was built, the Arabs closed off this gate.

Check out the rainbow on this olive tree in the
Garden Of Gethsemane


Via De La Rosa

Tami & went over to the Muslim Temple and took this shot.
This is only open at select times. Very interesting

Shopping in the markets of Old Jerusalem

Our VIP entrance to the Garden

St. Ann's Church at the Pools of Bethesda





No comments:

Post a Comment